Today I traveled to Vestbygd on the island of Hinnøya ready to play a concert tomorrow, The original plan was to make it a day tour, but with the return drive taking 9 hours and the threat of bad weather, I was very kindly offered a room for the night at the home of some church members in the village. This turned out to be very much for the best as I now begin tho feel their house shaking a bit in the wind.
Tomorrow north Norway will receive a visit from Orkan Ole (pronounced Orkaan Oolaa) – Hurricane ‘Ole’. Forecasters are talking about the worst weather here in living memory, and at least one low lying island has been evacuated with the threat of Spring Tides and waves up to to 25m / 75′! The general advice, in view of the power cuts last week is, buy some candles, charge your phone and stay at home.
Thankfully Vestbygd should only get a full storm and average winds of 65 mph. I’m just hoping the forecasters get it right and that they don’t close the 1km / 2/3 mile Tjelsund bridge which connects us to the mainland as I have to drive home after the concert in order to play for Sunday services!
However it remains to be seen if the concert goes ahead, as there is apparently a chunk of the church roof which is loose and might blow off.
Interesting times . . .